Is Rice Water Effective for Hair Growth?

Is Rice Water Effective for Hair Growth?

The TikTok DIY hair treatment is popular, yet proof of its effectiveness is weak
Rice water is undoubtedly one of the simplest DIY beauty treatments to prepare and use. Simply soak rice in water before applying the resultant liquid to your hair. It's believed to make your hair thicker, shinier, and even boost growth, allowing it to grow longer. Is it, however, effective?

My initial thought was, "Why would that work?" Nothing you apply to your hair from the outside typically has no effect on its growth. A hair follicle will spend two to six years in the anagen stage of development, continually developing a strand of hair. When the hair follicle completes its developing cycle, the resultant hair is as long as it will get—12 inches is average if the follicle developed at a pace of six inches per year for two years. Some individuals's follicles live longer than others, which explains why some people can develop knee-length hair while others can't seem to grow any. (This is also why you don't need to trim your brows on a regular basis; their growth cycle is considerably shorter.)

Despite the buzz around rice water for hair, I have yet to see anybody give solid data that it promotes growth. Several sources cite a 2010 research, only accessible as an abstract, that states rice water was historically utilized by a group of women known for their floor-length hair. That doesn't imply that was the cause of their floor-length hair.

According to the scientists, rice water has "hair care properties such as minimizing surface friction and enhancing hair flexibility." However, when hair was treated with [rice water] alone, flaking on the hair surface was observed, and the direct application of [rice water] was considered difficult." They recommend cosmetic chemists look into making rice water extracts that can be added to shampoo products—but, once again, there is no evidence that it boosts hair growth. And, as scientist Gaby Longsworth said to MarthaStewart.com, rice water does not appear to be absorbed into the hair or scalp, making it difficult to fathom how it may effect growth at all.

However, rice water may assist to keep hair and scalp healthy simply by coating strands and avoiding breakage, as well as calming an itchy scalp. If these theories are correct, rice water will not strengthen or extend healthy hair, but it may be beneficial for damaged hair or skin problems that impact the scalp.

Results from Do-It-Yourself

I tried it since rice water is simple to create. I have roughly waist-length, wavy hair that I’ve treated pretty well; it hasn’t been colored in recent memory and I don’t use heat or harsh chemicals on it.

In a container with roughly a cup of water, I soaked a cup of dry basmati rice (since that's all I had on hand). I shook the jar to combine everything, then refrigerated it till the next day. I drained the rice water into a spray bottle when I was ready to shower. (I refrigerated the rice because it was not damaged throughout this procedure, and I intend to prepare it for supper tomorrow.)

All of the DIY recipes indicate to use the rice water after washing your hair, but they disagree on whether to use it before, after, or instead of conditioner. I chose after since conditioner is an essential element of my detangling process.

So I washed and conditioned my hair, rinsed it completely, and squeezed out any excess moisture. Then I sprayed half of my hair with rice water, leaving the other half as a control, and combed through it while continuing to spray and, when my spray bottle malfunctioned, pouring it on. (I'm not sure how much rice water you're meant to use, but I definitely used at least half a cup.) Then I waited around for ten minutes to let the rice water thoroughly soak in before rinsing out any excess.

I gathered my jury after my hair was dried. It consisted of two people: my husband, an adult who can interpret directions, and my 6-year-old daughter, who pays attention to details and isn't afraid to be brutally honest.

My daughter quickly concluded, "I don't believe it worked." My husband pondered for many minutes, eventually declaring that the right side appears "1% shinier" while the left side "feels 1% better." The rice water treatment was on the left side.

So, how does it work? Growth is doubtful; perhaps there is a change in shininess and softness. (Some rice water devotees claim that you must use it for weeks before you see a change.) In any event, it's an easy treatment to create, and it feels wonderful spraying or pouring the refrigerator-cold liquid through your hair. It also smells lovely and has no evident risks or drawbacks, which is more than we can say for many other DIY beauty solutions.

#HairGrowth #Tiktok #RiceWater

SOURCE: lifehacker

What do you think of this blog? Write down at the COMMENT section below.

No comments: